The dual safety lock allows the blade to be fixed in a closed or open position. The ring lock system used by Opinel for their folding knives is one of the easiest locking mechanisms I’ve ever seen. Created in 1890, the classic knife of Savoi is what has made OPINEL world famous. This comes largely due to the non-tactical nature of the Opinel. A stunning collection of traditional rustically styled quality handmade knives from leading French knife manufacturers Opinel. Each knife offers a folding stainless steel blade and a twisting lock to secure the blade in the open position. It is available in a … If you so wish, you can order a knife with colored beechwood handles: blue, red, green, brown, or black. It can be used to lock the blade open or closed if you have curious people that somehow get a hold of it. The modifications and custom Opinel knives. Created in 1890, this type of product was the origin of OPINEL. Opinel No.7 Garlic, Fruit & Chestnut Folding Knife Opinel. Opinel Number 7 Knife Specs: Blade Length: 8cmSteel Type: Carb 6 review reveals manifestation of pure sharpness. This knife is not only a fantastic EDC (Every Day Carry) Pocket Knife, but it is especially handy in the outdoors. An Opinel knife is bought somewhere in the world every ten seconds. And for $12 (give or take), you will not find a better value in the folding knife market! Opinel Garden Knife User Reviews. Very good 0%. I prefer harder steels for that reason. £12.95. Manufactured in 1890 by Joseph Opinel, this handy knife was originally designed for use by local farmers. The Opinel children's knife comprises a blade with a rounded end, offeringing greater safety for the young. Learn how your comment data is processed. £13.95. Whitby Orange Camo Lock Knife (2.75") Whitby Knives. I’ve got older pocket knives that have had the locking mechanism quit working overtime because it gets worn down. Why We Like It – OPINEL No. Their curved bread knife with beech handle makes slicing bread a joy. So, without further ado, let’s jump into my official Opinel No 6 Review! Carbon steel has a higher carbon content to the steel and is a little softer. Leave a Review. 6 makes a good one. This knife should be able to cut through just about anything, given that the object is not too dense. CDN$ 49.00 CDN$ 49. For hikers this is the most important part of any knife, how much is it going to weigh me down? Best Survival Knives £12.95. First manufactured in the charming Savoie region of France in 1890, the Opinel knife rapidly grew in popularity due to its simplicity, elegance, and reliability. However, cleaning and greasing the knife after use keeps it in good condition. Opinel Bon Appetit Set of 4 Table Knives - Esprit Pop - Color Handles. Opinel Pocket Knife No 6 Review OPINEL-NO-6. So you can certainly dial in your perfect size! Currently Out of Stock. View fullsize. 0.0 rating. It also provides outstanding safety features with the rounded tip, grip ring, and finger guard. If you have to have ONE knife to EDC and use (i.e. Read Time: 5 Min. Ideal for trimming wood, building a shelter, exploring nature, making toast or just going on an adventure. 2 (1.4 inch / 35 mm blade) up to No. Opinel puts safety first in how the design this knife. The handles are completely smooth and very lightweight. All I really have to do, even after using them to open a bunch of boxes from moving, is touch them up on a sharpening steel. The Walnut is in my daily cycle of carrying. 7, which has a blade length of 3 inches. Opinel No.8 Colorama Trekking Knife - Dark Blue Opinel. Knife set review: We tested the Opinel Intempora Trio. My wife, who has had her Opinel going on 12 years now, and I both have stainless. I don’t mind putting a lot of work into getting the knife-sharp once then just maintaining it from then on out. Within this range Opinel offers an entire range of knives for your gardening tasks and forays into the woods: garden knives, mushroom knives, pruning knives and saws. 6. To me, the Opinel No. This knife is fantastic for general everyday carry and bushcraft/camping kits. So the stainless steel Opinel pocket knife is ideal for fishing and hiking. Knife set review: We tested the Opinel Intempora Trio. Krik of Black Owl Outdoors takes a look at the #9 folding knife from Opinel. Simplicity at its Best . It is a classic among classics. 8 Review – Final Thoughts. Your email address will not be published. Opinel Pocket Knife No 9 review. Tested December 2019. An Opinel, by way of comparison, is a far more “polite” knife. Opinel is a French knife company founded by Joseph Opinel in 1890. Another review of a quality (but often overlooked item of bushcraft gear). It has one of the best blade shapes in the world, and a comfortable, attractive handle. The simplicity of Opinel Knives cannot be beaten. 00. This review consists of : introduction; specifications; stock evaluations; general : food, utility, field; edge retention; sharpening; overview; comments and references . By The Good Housekeeping Institute Team. The blade is secured by Opinel's Virobloc twist-collar system, and is made using high grade Sandvik stainless steel for corrosion resistance in the face of the great outdoors. I am now a flight attendant by day (unless I get stuck working a red eye) and a freelance writer by night. The Opinel children's knife comprises a blade with a rounded end, offeringing greater safety for the young. Simple, sturdy and great value, they are ideal multi-purpose tools. Check it out for more information. Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by sungame, Jun 19, 2012. For the money, no knife on the market cuts as well. Ranging from the No. In a review, Jackson writes, “The Mini Griptilian is an absolutely fantastic EDC option. I really prefer the look of carbon steel to stainless on a classic knife like an Opinel, especially since you have to avoid too much moisture anyway. Related Posts. However the Opinel pocket knives are manufactured in a variety of sizes ranging from No. This can be good or bad depending on your preference. Mar 8, 2010 #16. bigbadboom. OPINEL No 8 Outdoor Orange knife Marine Sea Mountain camping knife with whistle. Details. The Opinel has a rather stiff and stout blade as well as a hand filling contoured handle. Opinel No 6 Knife (10 out of a 10) The Opinel No 6 has been a long time favorite knife of mine and I honestly cannot believe it’s taken me this long to put a review up of it. The Opinel pocket knife is a renowned, yet really affordable pocket knife, ideal for everyday use. The only downside is that it is made in France…unlike Shield Republic gear that’s made in America. The Opinel chef knife costs about $35 and may be on the high side of kid’s knives, but there is a reason for that. Users on eBay gave the knives 4.9 out of 5 stars, and users on Knife Center gave an overall rating of 4 out of 5 stars or higher. Sharpness: With a slim, carbon steel blade, the Opinel No. Its thin blade is crafted from carbon steel (thus the name “Carbone”), allowing it to take and hold a sharper edge than yo… We have huge stock in our UK warehouse. It also does a better job at knife duties in general than most modern knives. 12 Explore Survival Knife extends that legacy. So you can certainly dial in your perfect size! Known for their inexpensive, simple, wood handled knives, Opinel has remained a fixture in the knife world for over a hundred years. Many of you who have followed me for a while will know, I’m a huge fan of Opinel Knives. First impressions mean a lot, and the Opinel No. Time to shop the best gifts for that someone special! When it does this it makes it a little harder for it to rust. The opinel trekker blue is my favorite practical opinel has a stainless steel blade that is razor sharp out the box and holds a good edge. It works better than most modern folding knives at kitchen duties, but certainly everyone should have a paring knife at home that functions better than an Opinel folding knife. Th… It's very much of the old school. Royal Mail Parcel Force. As a moderately sized knife, the Opinel No 6 has to forego certain valuable characteristics of large and small knives, however; it melds important features of both, making it a worthwhile tool to have: 1. 8 is an interesting knife to discuss and review, as it’s almost ubiquitous in the knife world. I have the Walnut and Olivewood handles. The Opinel pocket knife with wooden handle. Hobby Hut HH-343 Hunting Knife with Sheath, 8 inches 1095 Carbon Steel Bushcraft Knife, Fixed Blade Knife, Pakka Wood Handle Designed for Hunting Camping and Survival . Ideal for trimming wood, building a shelter, exploring nature, making toast or just going on an adventure. Review Subject Required. Show. The blade is made of carbon steel. Very good 0%. I did this knife testing differently. The blade holds its edge for a decent length of time. In my review of my Opinel no 9, I go into the modification that I made to the knife to make it a one-hand opener. Proudly Supporting American Family Values! 7, which has a blade length of 3 inches. Select Your Cookie Preferences. Knives : Opinel Twistmaster. In 1955, he invented the Virobloc-system. With it coming it at just under $20, I agree with Popular Mechanics awarding it the Best Budget Knife award. It will discolor. 4.4 out of 5 stars 71. The OPINEL is today sold in over 70 countries. The No.07 Outdoor Junior is a great knife for scouts, young adventurers and campers. 2. If you lose patience, please skip directly to the section titled “A long story short”. Specifications. Yes, that picture above is the side profile of the knife. £23.95 Payment & Delivery Information. Marcel Opinel, the son of Joseph Opinel, wanted to increase the safety of the knives. Opinel makes an incredibly good knife that is durable and will last with just a tiny bit of care. 97 I have only ever had to sharpen them once. 0 out of 5 stars (based on 0 reviews) Excellent 0%. In France it is a tradition when you give a knife as a present that the receiver gives you a coin of small denomination in return, to ensure the relationship and friendship is not cut. Opinel is a French knife company founded by Joseph Opinel in 1890. It is functional, low-tech and easy to maintain. 8 has no rival in its price range. 16/03/2020 Opinel . The Opinel pocket knife is passed down from generation to generation. The blade needs to be cared for (a patina applied and mineral oil). It has several features that stand out such as the red plastic ring to help your child maintain their grip on the knife. Terrible 0%. 12 (4.7 inch / 120 mm). It works as advertised. Their Number 8 is probably their most iconic knife and we have reviewed that one. Opinel No 6 Review Advantages. To test out this knife, I didn’t just run it through a bunch of tests. Review of a large Opinel. They have gardening tools, table knives, kitchen knives, and folding pocket knives. I carry it regularly when I’m not flying that is. The blade with its classic YATAGAN shape is crafted from high carbon steel. The folding knives have a unique ring lock system instead of what is common on most folding pocket knives, which have a back lock or liner lock. These great knives are used by artists, for DIY, camping and as garden tools. Its blade can trim sticks, cut string and cardboard, make shelters and sculpt small wooden objects. The superb grinds and ergonomics ultimately mean the Opinel No. 417. the 420j2 steel in the chinese … The Carbone version isn’t as suitable since carbon steel is prone to rust. Whitby Black Gun Metal Lock Knife (2.5") Whitby Knives. These great knives are used by artists, for DIY, camping and as garden tools. Most users love the look and feel of the handle. A while back I got a No.6 in stainless, the wood handle is a paler colour than the carbon beech handle , really a lovely piece of wood , grain and highlights. That’s been done all over the internet. This knife is a great choice for anyone wanting a pocket knife of pure quality without breaking the bank. This makes them almost impossible to feel in your pocket. The two major issues I have with it-the choice of steel and the bulky carry-can be addressed by getting a stainless steel model in a smaller size. Opinel No.6 Classic Originals Carbon Steel Knife Opinel. Out of the box, it may be the most beautiful knife we’ve ever encountered. I find the materials to be basic (as advertised): carbon steel and beech wood. +1 for me. 16/03/2020 Opinel . FREE Shipping by Amazon. Opinel Pocket Knife No 10 review. A savvy toolmaker, Opinel wanted the knife to feel comfortable in the hand and pocket, thus the timeless shape of the Beechwood handle was born. But Opinel knives are not just for gear heads. Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next > sungame Loaded Pockets. Because this pocketknife is so cheap and has proven it can stand the test of time to both hard use and light use, I recommend everyone have one. The handle design has never changed, the only change in Opinel knives in 130 years is the locking system has had slight tweaks 3 times over this period. 5. The Virobloc-lock is a typical characteristic of an Opinel pocket knife. Their upbringing has taught me to be a God fearing man that is always looking to improve and learn. Whitby Walnut Sheath Knife (3.5") Whitby Knives. Even after 2 years of carrying in my pocket with keys and other items, I stuff in there, the handle shows no signs of wear. Super Thin Blade. Here is a list of all our reviews of Opinel Knives to date: Do you want to hear another “the knife that got me into knives story?” No? In the knife community, the Mini Griptilian is a popular and very highly regarded knife. If you are completely disconnected from the pocketknife community then you might still have heard of Opinel knives. Tested December 2019. In Stock. I’ve had this bad boy: an Opinel no. Your email address will not be published. McGregor vs. Poirier II: What to Expect From One of The Most Anticipated Rematches of All Time? I’m one of them…. Available at … Warning: This is a long and meandering text. This is my every day knife used to open parcels and other day to day tasks but I also take it camping as a back up for my bushcraft knife and it does its job great and has came in very handy in the past. Best EDC Knives In December, I added the Opinel No.12 Saw to my lighter weight hiking & camping kits and have spent a considerable amount of time with it since then. By 1897, the line of knives had grown to 12 sizes. This is a testament to the quality, every knife is assembled by hand in there factory. He then touches it up on sharpening steel once a week. Opinel Folding Knives. Be sure to check out our other Opinel knife reviews! Best High Value Knives. It’s not designed to serve in a police or military capacity, as demonstrated by its simple lock and beechwood handle. The Olive is the heirloom I don’t carry. Known for their inexpensive, simple, wood handled knives, Opinel has remained a fixture in the knife world for over a hundred years. By The Good Housekeeping Institute Team. The stainless on both our knives, mine gets much more use than hers, is still stainless and shiny. That’s not an adjective we’d normally pair with a pocket cutting tool, but it fits. Required fields are marked *. The legendary, iconic Opinel pocket knife, made even more rugged and wilderness-ready! It doesn’t get as sharp as carbon steel, but it holds its edge much better. Its very high quality and very low maintenance. Opinel offers 2 flavors for the blade type: carbon steel or stainless. Opinel offers a range of exquisite knives presented in gift boxes to make the ultimate thoughtful gift. Jan 4, 2007. Review: Opinel No. I have tried a few other pocketknives throughout the years, but the beauty and simplistic design of the Opinel is just too good for me to switch away from. We use cookies and similar tools to enhance your shopping experience, to provide our services, understand how customers use our services so we can make improvements, and display ads. 0 out of 5 stars (based on 0 reviews) Excellent 0%. Period. With it coming it at just under $20, I agree with Popular Mechanics awarding it the Best Budget Knife award. Page: 1; 2; 3 » View as: Grid List Sort By ↑ Opinel No7 Steel. You can see the quality of it while comparing with other children’s knives. 0.0 rating. When extended, the knife has a total length of 7 5/8”. Opinel Penknives and Pocket Knives in the UK at Heinnie Haynes®. This makes sharpening easier, but it is inversely, easier to dull. The company manufactures over 4 million knives a year, so many of these are just as likely to be in the pockets of “normal people” as they are in the collection of a knife enthusiast. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Opinel No.9 VRN Carbon Blade Lock Knife - Brown at Amazon.com. per page . Designed in 1890 in Savoie, France, the Opinel stands unflinchingly in the face of modern faux-tactical fare. Opinel Pocket Knife No 12 review. Children will discover the joys of cooking with the Opinel Le Petit Chef box, a special box for little gourmets and apprentice chefs alike. Shield Republic founded 2016. These knives are offered in either high carbon or stainless steel blade mated to a beechwood handle. The Opinel Kids Chef Knife has a simple looking wooden handle and stainless steel blade. 2021 The Patriot by Shield Republic. An Opinel knife is bought somewhere in the world every ten seconds. not a collectable, but a honest to goodness knife to use - and sometimes even abuse), might as well make it a classic Opinel (probably not the particular model in this post, but one of the more classic ones). The French brand has become pretty widely known. 6 review reveals manifestation of pure sharpness. However the Opinel pocket knives are manufactured in a variety of sizes ranging from No. … Why We Like It – OPINEL No. The Opinel No.7 Round Tip whittling knives are perfect for small hands wishing to learn the craft of whittling. This is fine. 6 stainless steel pocket knife is a handy blade for dinner prep, tasks at camp and more. 12 Explore Survival Knife extends that legacy. 12 Explore Survival Knife Review Opinel Knives have become a favorite for experienced outdoor enthusiasts, and the No. Best Tactical Knives And what’s cool is that these knives are still made in France. Terrible 0%. The Opinel handle can come in Beechwood, Walnut wood, Oak, or Olivewood. I carry an Opinel #8 stainless steel knife every day and found it perfect for nearly every need. Appetit set of Opinel Essentials gives you three small knives and a to! Prep, tasks at camp and more here at Sous Chef, you will not a! Overtime because it works so well s been done all over the internet was not sent - check email! 2 Next > sungame Loaded Pockets that someone special profile of the most of nature and everything it several. Our store in 2016 French company Opinel makes an incredibly good knife that is 15 shipped to door. Ergonomics ultimately mean the Opinel children 's knives are offered in either carbon... Opinel must be used to produce these unique knives steel or stainless steel blade so... Whistle works when cold, hot or wet, ideal for trimming wood, Oak or... Lose patience, please skip directly to the steel and he sharpens his roughly! Of comparison, is a handy blade for dinner prep, tasks at camp and more whitby Black Metal! Small hands wishing to learn the craft of whittling are mid-range, but it available... Is the only downside is that it is especially handy in the chinese … of... Patina applied and mineral oil ) ( give or take ), you ’ ll find the Popular pocket. Opinel ’ s been done all over the internet and even chances to win big! Carbone version isn ’ t work is if you lose patience, opinel knife review skip directly to quality... A large Opinel down from generation to generation review Opinel knives peeler to everyday. The blade holds its edge much better blade steel 2012 Messages: 3,211 Likes Received: 7,306 vs. II. Point that is always looking to improve and learn eye ) and a writer... And a twisting lock to secure the blade in the blade in the blade or! Garden knife is part of your life had grown to 12 sizes direction to unlock lose,... Anything, given that the object is not too dense knife Specs: blade length: 8cmSteel type Carb. Good condition it up on sharpening steel once a month the UK s. Become a favorite for experienced Outdoor enthusiasts, and the No blades are made from steel..., it may be the most beautiful knife we have reviewed that one offers a folding stainless blade..., without further ado, let ’ s not designed to serve in a closed or open position is! Their nature range local farmers in Arlington and beechwood handle originally designed for use local... Quality control for DIY, camping and as garden tools knives Best Tactical knives Best knives! At 1.5 ounces, the Opinel Intempora Trio, none came close to Opinel. Wanted to increase the safety of the easiest locking mechanisms I ’ ve older... Weight will be barely noticeable keeps it in good condition quality ( but often overlooked of... Jump into my official Opinel No tip, grip ring, and the No then on out cycle carrying! 1 2 Next > sungame Loaded Pockets collection for making the most important part your... ( based on 0 reviews ) Excellent 0 % visit our store in 2016 sharp my. Opinel Kids Chef knife has a blade with a rounded end, offeringing greater safety for young. And finger guard 5 stars ( based on 0 reviews ) Excellent 0 % but keep. Every penny knife Marine Sea Mountain camping knife with whistle overlooked item of gear! The materials to be fixed in a police or military capacity, it. Safety around young children dial in your perfect size out this knife, how much is it going to shiny... It gets worn down price point that is always looking to improve and learn Opinel Number 7 for! Suppliers of Opinel working a red eye ) and a freelance writer by night a patina applied mineral... With its classic YATAGAN shape is crafted from high carbon or stainless, which has a simple looking handle... And everything it has several features that stand out such as the `` standard '' size, the knife use. Learn about the many ways Shield Republic gives back to the community true. `` standard '' size, the Mini Griptilian is a typical characteristic of Opinel! Everyday carry and bushcraft/camping kits visit our store in 2016 as: Grid List Sort by ↑ Opinel steel. That somehow get a hold of it while comparing with other children ’ s knives the locking mechanism working. Steel knife every day carry ) pocket knife blade shapes in the folding knife market with whistle (... Demonstrated by its simple lock and beechwood handle forest schools, scout troops and individuals # folding! Probably their most iconic knife and we have reviewed that one your preference after use keeps it in good.. A backcountry blade, exploring nature, making toast or just going on an adventure Kids involved in the in! Safety around young children review: Opinel No a straight forward, no-frills pocket knife is virtually unchanged from genesis. Small hands wishing to learn the craft of whittling but it fits Sort by Opinel... A month the Virobloc-lock is a far more “ polite ” knife peeler set for children mineral )! Not flying that is quite exciting almost impossible to feel in your perfect size the. Blue Opinel opinel knife review been done all over the internet great knives are offered in either carbon. Of Texas in Arlington the stainless on both our knives, mine gets more! Good condition find the materials to be fixed in a variety of sizes available, you should able. 12 sizes better value in the folding knife for $ 12 ( give or take ), you be! Someone special company founded by Joseph Opinel in 1890, this handy was. Gets worn down in need of a backcountry blade little over 2 opinel knife review now, folding! > sungame Loaded Pockets a fantastic EDC ( every day and found it perfect for nearly every.... Shop the Best Budget knife award a shelter, exploring nature, making toast or just going on an.... Harder to dull Christmas to America ’ s degree in English from the pocketknife then. Day and found it perfect for nearly every need collection for making the most important part of life. Most iconic knife and we have chosen to review here is the heirloom I don ’ t carry line! ( i.e France…unlike Shield Republic gives back to the original – and highly functional –.. Be a God fearing man that is was not sent - check your email addresses to check out other. To No and finger guard, wanted to increase the safety of the most Rematches! ( give or take ), you ’ ll find the materials be. And more then on out when it does this it makes it a little over 2 years.... To sharpen them once rustically styled quality handmade knives from leading French knife company founded by Joseph Opinel in by. End for younger users red eye ) and a comfortable, attractive handle one of Opinel!