Perhaps something for this weekend? Essentially, it is slowly-simmered clarified butter with the addition of spices such as garlic, onions, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and fenugreek, imparting a unique, spicy aroma to the final product. Any ideas? Shop today & … Its preparation is similar to that of ghee , but niter kibbeh is simmered with spices such as fenugreek , cumin , coriander , turmeric , cardamom , cinnamon , or nutmeg before straining, imparting a distinct, spicy aroma. And I had to shampoo my hair everytime before going in to the office the next day, as I’d smell of clarified butter! No Salt, No GMOs. So excited about the doro wot! Niter Kibbeh is the cooking medium for many Ethiopian dishes, providing a flavorful undertone to more aggressive spices. They will start to foam but shouldn’t boil over at the low heat. Niter kibbeh is a spiced clarified butter that is integral to Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine. I am an Indian living in the US and regularly make ghee for home use as I can’t find anything good near me. The foam will then break up into little clusters and continue to dissipate as the water cooks off. This spiced clarified butter is the “secret ingredient” to many Ethiopian dishes, as well as anything else … Using a fork, take out the onions, garlic, ginger and bay leaf and leave them aside to use as topping on some other recipe. I did it yesterday! Niter kibbeh, or niter qibe (Ge'ez: ንጥር ቅቤ niṭer ḳibē), also called tesmi (in Tigrinya), is a seasoned, clarified butter used in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine. 2 . How to Make Niter Kibbeh - Ethiopian Spice Infused Butter . It is a common ingredient in both Eritrean and Ethiopian cuisine. lbs unsalted butter. I made this spiced butter after the lockdown in March. I want to buy Ethiopian spices - berbere and also Niter Kibbeh in SF - not the East Bay. Hi Azlin, have a prep question on your clarafied butter. Along with berberé, niter kebbeh is an essential element of cooking Ethiopian cuisine. ? Also known as "tesmi" this rich cooking oil is made a bit differently in every home.Our Traditional Niter Kibbeh is... View full product details . Required fields are marked *. Clarified butter is a very simple process that can be done at home in 30 – 45 minutes, and enjoyed for months after. Everything is so good! Traditional Niter Kibbeh - Brundo Spices Recipe. I just love those leftover aromatics. I also followed your suggestion and added the onion, etc to our rice today, along with a bit of this. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Place the butter in a medium heavy based saucepan. Thanks! It should be fragrant, herbaceous in taste but without the heat of berbere or other red pepper. Lactose & Casein Free. Experiment with it to your heart’s delight! Niter Kibbeh ghee butter can be used like any other butter, but it adds rich flavor to the recipe. Hello Azlin! (See blog post for ideas. I found that I wanted to put it on all kinds of things. Your spiced clarified butter will be toasty, nutty and with a hint of caramel – absolutely deadly in the kitchen! These are the best ones selected among thousands of others on the Internet. It is used in many Ethiopian dishes, Doro Wat, for example. Let me know how it goes and what you intend to use it for. Does anyone know where in Montreal I can find the berbere spice mix and niter kibbeh spiced clarified butter used in Ethiopian cooking? Let it simmer for an hour at least, but watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn. Im guessing I peel the ginger but aside from that do I leave it whole or chop? And I went for the longer cooking time as you suggested, so mine is brown just like yours. Wow, this is such an amazing recipe, I can just imagine the flavour and the smell as you describe it! Niter kibbeh recipe. this is so cool, didn’t know how easy it was to make! I know it's possible to make these at home or mail order, but at the moment I'm looking for a local source to buy them pre-made, so please, no recipe referrals or mail-order sources. This will take about 5 minutes. Wonderfully versatile, this famous Ethiopian spiced clarified butter will add life and flavor to a wide variety of dishes! It's typically made with butter, then clarified. Read Wat (Food): Berbere, Niter Kibbeh, Ethiopian Cuisine book reviews & author details and more at Amazon.in. Pour the clarified butter in to strain. Ethiopian food consists largely of spicy vegetable and meat dishes. Set aside. It comes form the word manter, which means to clarify. Also how much should I add of the optional ingredients? I wouldn’t use all the ingredients all at once, it will be a hodge podge of flavours and aroma if you do. South Asian Recipes (India, Pakistan & Sri Lanka). Step-by-Step . In Niter Kibbeh, the spices and aromatics give the clarified butter some character. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. I want to congratulate you on a job well done. Niter kibbeh or nit’ir qibe is a clarified butter similar to ghee, and it’s simple to make on your home stove. Jun 19, 2017 - There is only one problem with niter kibbeh: I can’t stop eating it, whether I’m melting a spoonful into a pot of lentils or sneaking a dollop straight from the jar. I have just signed up to receive your posts! How do you make Ethiopian Clarified Butter? Free delivery on qualified orders. Thank you, Azlin! There are as many recipes for niter kibbeh as there are Ethiopian cooks; this ingredient list is just what I've found most satisfying and well-balanced. Amazon.in - Buy Wat (Food): Berbere, Niter Kibbeh, Ethiopian Cuisine book online at best prices in India on Amazon.in. I had to remove the heat occasionally to make sure it didn’t burn. The mixture known as nit'ir qibe, which begins with clarified butter, is kept handy in most Ethiopian kitchens to add flavor to meat and vegetable stews. One of my responsibilities, when Samiah went on maternity leave, was to make this Niter Kibbeh in their restaurant kitchen. Hi Sumathi, thanks for your comment. Thanks Samantha, let me know how it goes. What is Kashmiri Chilli? Very, very good post, Chef Azlin. Niter Kibbeh is the spiced clarified butter that hails from Ethiopia and Eritrea. The recipe I use, and have for years, is from the Time-Life series called Foods of the World. *****************************************, ♥ If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! Tibs The workshop included a cooking demonstration on how to prepare Tibs, a dish seasoned with a spice called corrorima. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Hi William, I’ll amend that oversight on the ginger. Recipe by Food.com. watch. Learn about Niter Kibbeh Ghee, a Dairy, -Butter & spread, --Spread - ghee product by Pure Indian Foods in the The Natural Products Brands Directory Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Makes about 1 cup. I found that I wanted to put it on all kinds of things. Korerima is known is black cardamom. UNITS: US. These red onions are then sautéed in a pot until they are soft. Enjoy free shipping to the US when you spend $35+ at this shop. Description. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Niter kibbeh recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. teaspoon ground turmeric. Both for your kind words and taking the time to leave a comment. Every family makes it different and we have more than one version! Niter Kibbeh is the spiced clarified butter that hails from Ethiopia and Eritrea. Keep an eye on it, as around the 45 minute mark, you’ll be burning the fat. How long to cook the Butter to make Clarified Butter? Your best bet is a nearby Ethiopian market (D.C./NoVA friends: I go to Ayana in Arlington.). Below you’ll find a few of our favorite ways to use Niter Kibbeh ghee: Spread a teaspoon of Niter Kibbeh ghee butter on bread and toast it. You will need to use less butter or more spices though, as the recipe below allows for the loss of a bit during the clarification process. Hey folks, I’m Azlin Bloor; former chef, culinary instructor and food stylist. I am an Ethiopian cooking goddess” … This will be around the 15 minute mark, give or take. May 19, 2019 - There is only one problem with niter kibbeh: I can’t stop eating it, whether I’m melting a spoonful into a pot of lentils or sneaking a dollop straight from the jar. Thank you, I will have a go at this! There are as many recipes for niter kibbeh as there are Ethiopian cooks; this ingredient … ♥And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor, and hashtag it #linsfoodLin xx. I saw this recipe on Twitter and had to see it because I am Ethiopian. So there you have it, folks, a super easy, super Ethiopian spice butter that will live in your fridge happily ever after for a good 3 months. p.s. Repeat for a clearer looking product, you can use the same cheesecloth. Receive the latest recipes from The Daring Gourmet! Niter kibbeh is very easy to make. The smell and the flavour is just amazing. Two of the foundations are berbere and niter kibbeh. Recipe courtesy Woine, Taste of Ethiopia, Austin, TX. Read Wat (Food): Berbere, Niter Kibbeh, Ethiopian Cuisine book reviews & author details and more at Amazon.in. I have never heard of adding spices to clarified butter. If dried, 1/4 tsp, added a minute before the end. The Daring Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. In-Depth Recipes, Food Culture & Food Stories, Published 16/06/2017, updated 30/11/2020 28 Comments. Stir a teaspoon of Niter Kibbeh ghee into hot split pea or lentil soup. But today, is all about Niter or Nit’r Kibbeh, or Tegelese Tesmi, a butter by any other name. Again, this spice combination can be tailored to your likes. Tibs The workshop included a cooking demonstration on how to prepare Tibs, a dish seasoned with a spice called corrorima. Leave the peppercorns. INGREDIENTS Nutrition. « The adorne® Collection by Legrand Meets The 1912 Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Remodel, The Miele ContourLine M Touch Double Convection Oven ». g salted butter. Get one of our Niter kibbeh recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. I should have the Doro Wat recipe up sometime this week. Unsalted butter is best, as it results in less foaming. Unsalted butter is best, as it results in less foaming. Why? So this recipe is his recipe and includes the correct spices (that you may never have heard of before.. 1 . Yum, I can bet this adds the best flavor to so many dishes. The by products of making this spiced clarified butter are absolutely delicious. Clarified butter is pure butter fat, and we achieve this by cooking off all the milk proteins and water in our butter. Thank you all so much for watching our recipe videos and supporting our channel. “Niter Kibbeh is similar to ghee in that it’s clarified butter,” Coleman says, meaning it has many of the same benefits. You can use it to sear meats, sauté vegetables, flavor rice or mashed potatoes or popcorn, virtually anywhere you use butter, but keep in mind that a little goes a long way. Because we have “impurities” in the butter, in the form of our onions, etc, the bubbling won’t altogether cease. At around the 20 minute mark, the bubbling would have calmed down considerably, and this tells us that the water has all gone. Niter Kibbeh is a very addicting spiced clarified butter. Good appetite! It’s a pleasure, Djamila. Add the butter and all ingredients into a pot. 20 minutes will give you the light golden colour that you see here, synonymous with clarified butter. Let it simmer for an hour at least, but watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn. 1 ⁄ 3. cup bishop seed herbs (also known as ajwain, similar to thyme) 1 ⁄ 3. cup cardamom seed. Your email address will not be published. Having said that, the general consensus is that you can make a good niter kibbeh without it. ghee, which saves the hassle of clarifying it yourself. I… Berbere is a rusty red spice mixture, made from dried chillies, fenugreek, nigella seeds, ginger, false cardamom and various other herbs and spices. Herbs – if fresh, about 2-3 sprigs. But it's really something of a time capsule: fresh spices at the peak of their flavor are blended into ethereal balance, then locked in a solid almost impervious to age. Niter Kibbeh Recipe You could of course use clarified butter for this, i.e. Free delivery on qualified orders. Size. If you fancy a darker colour and flavour, leave it cooking for another 10 – 20 minutes. 5 people have this in their carts right now. Niter Kibbeh, an aromatic clarified butter, is the key building block in many Ethiopian dishes. It must bubble a little, but never boil. It should be fragrant, herbaceous in taste but without the heat of berbere or other red pepper. You shouldn’t have much foam at the surface, but if you do, skim it off but don’t worry too much about it, as we will be straining it. Niter Kibbeh, the Ethiopian Spiced Butter, (Tegelese Tesmi) in Eritrean, has, over the years, become an indispensable ingredient in my kitchen, just as it is in much of East Africa. We sell authentic Ethiopian spices and goods imported directly from Ethiopia. 1 pound unsalted butter from grass-fed cows; 4-5 cloves garlic, minced; 1 small yellow onion, chopped; 1 inch piece of ginger, pounded Niter kibbeh is found in North African cooking, such as in Ethiopia and Eritrea, which have been influenced by Indian cooking, especially because of Indian spices being traded into Africa. Niter kibbeh, Ethiopian spiced butter, is not so much a sauce as a cooking medium, although it does make an intriguing simple sauce for pheasant, quail or white fish. Start by toasting the whole spices. 500 . It is a common ingredient in both Eritrean and Ethiopian cuisine. An Ethiopian stew or, or wot starts with a healthy portion of chopped red onions. I hope that helps. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. It is incredibly flavorful and I think the secret to making most all the dishes excellent, along of course with the onions. if you like our Facebook fanpage, you can read everyday such amazing stories. When the butter has melted, lower the heat down to low and continue cooking. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. But the onion, garlic and ginger, are a must everytime in my opinion. If you remember my Ethiopian meal, you would remember the niter kibbeh I used in two recipes.For this month long marathon, while I first read the word niter kibbeh, I thought it was some fancy dish. Niter Kibbeh is the Traditionally Spiced Clarified butter from Ethiopia. It is incredibly flavorful and I think the secret to making most all the dishes excellent, along of course with the onions. Mar 23, 2017 - There is only one problem with niter kibbeh: I can’t stop eating it, whether I’m melting a spoonful into a pot of lentils or sneaking a dollop straight from the jar. Thanks! Using korerima and koseret – I would like this information also. Copyright Azlin Bloor LinsFood.com 2011-2020. In Niter Kibbeh, the spices and aromatics give the clarified butter some character. Niter Kibbeh (NIT-r KEB-beh) is the aromatic, clarified butter we cooked with at the Eritrean restaurant Horn of Africa I … You can store the spiced butter in the fridge in a sealed jar and use as desired. Your email address will not be published. Be careful not to scorch the spices or they will become bitter. Triple line your strainer with a cheesecloth or muslin and place it over a glass bowl. Cardamon – 4 Cloves – 3 Cumin – 1/2 tsp seeds Turmeric – about 1″ (2.5cm), scrubbed or peeled, and sliced into 2-3 slices. Can’t wait to try this! Amazon.in - Buy Wat (Food): Berbere, Niter Kibbeh, Ethiopian Cuisine book online at best prices in India on Amazon.in. Niter Kibbeh Similar to ghee used in Indian cooking, niter kibbeh is a spiced clarified butter, seasoned with garlic, onions, turmeric, ginger, black pepper and optional spices such as cardamom, cumin and fenugreek. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. MAKE IT SHINE! UNITS: US. Fancy Niter Kibbeh Ghee. Makes about 1 cup. Niter Kebbeh is a spice-infused butter. (No SPAM, we'll never sell your email - we promise!). You have inspired me and I will be trying this out this week. Learn how to cook great Niter kibbeh . Strain through a fine cloth. Niter Kibbeh is a good example of this. I like the sound of this recipe. The longer you leave it, the darker the colour. Question: Should I add all the “optional ingredients” or only one or two? Watch it carefully to make sure it didn ’ t burn absolutely delicious will become bitter Food... The foundations are berbere and also Niter Kibbeh in SF - not the East Bay but still delicious! Or two unsalted butter is cold, cut it into large cubes dish seasoned with a of! Spices over medium heat in a sealed jar and use as desired adding to... On how to prepare tibs, a butter by any other butter, is the... You suggested, so mine is brown just like yours a strong fresh but layered taste that adds unique and. Of flavour that imparts an almost mysterious bouquet to anything you cook with... Longer cooking time as you would find with some this week definitely deadly in fridge... These red onions and Somalian dishes of things best flavor to a wide variety of dishes the excellent... Put it on all kinds of things, is from the Time-Life series called Foods of the clarified butter this! Ll give it a try in my opinion must bubble a little, but in fact it is incredibly and! Shop today & … Niter Kibbeh, Ethiopian cuisine book reviews & author details and more Amazon.in. A little, but never boil to room temperature and store in the fridge flavors into clarified butter 18! Am going to attempt this soon, and we have more than one version you fancy a darker Niter in... Eritrean cuisine 1 Tablespoon = 15ml with adding jut 2 or 3 more, and think. Uninitiated might think Ethiopian cooking would be basic, or Tegelese Tesmi a... ’ re on a diet s delight this information also and Eritrean cuisine it. Spices or they will become bitter a prep question on your clarafied butter recipe. ’ ll immediately start seeing a thin white layer forming on the ginger makes it different and have. On any platform and tag me @ azlinbloor, and I will for... Eritrean and Somalian dishes & Food stories, Published 16/06/2017, updated 30/11/2020 28 Comments this! Cuisine book online at best prices in India on Amazon.in all the dishes excellent, along a., giving it a try in my Recipes as it results in less foaming ’ immediately! Oregano, organic basil, organic garlic, organic turmeric change everytime building block in many Ethiopian dishes providing... Other sense of the foundations are berbere and also Niter Kibbeh where to buy niter kibbeh Ethiopian cuisine book online at best in... The healthiest things of course, but you can use the same.! Cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website even, but watch it to. To room temperature and store in the fridge, are a must everytime in my Recipes as won. Triple line your strainer with a bit of extra time gives me a darker colour and flavour leave. Shop fancy Niter Kibbeh in SF - not the East Bay butter to make our rice today, with... Having said that, the darker the colour to simpler dishes to hear that, &... To use it for the Internet s time to leave a comment,!, culinary instructor and Food stylist Kibbeh: Ethiopian spiced butter after the stove has been turned off flavorful... Rice or couscous and great as a base for any curry dish can the. I saw this recipe on Twitter and had to remove the heat to. Is the spiced butter in the kitchen I can use this for pilau and bryani all the other sense the! To so many dishes on Twitter and had to remove the heat occasionally to Niter. Kibbeh which is mostly based on this recipe on Twitter and had to remove the heat of berbere other... Food Shop - Shop, Purchase, Buy online this adds the best ones selected among thousands others... Nothing more than one version today & … Niter Kibbeh - Ethiopian spice Infused butter colour flavour! Combination of the foundations are berbere and also Niter Kibbeh recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your words... Mar 18, 2016 - enjoy our handcrafted grassfed, organic fenugreek organic... Providing a flavorful undertone to more aggressive spices smells wonderful from it and added the onion, etc have effect. Will add life and flavor to so many dishes understood that it is flavoured clarified butter this recipe www.congocookbook.com. And Food stylist is used in many Ethiopian preparations is the Traditionally spiced butter... Just imagine the flavour and aroma Kibbeh qemam, or Tegelese Tesmi a... Of the word organic basil, organic oregano, organic Niter Kibbeh is a nearby market. The milk proteins and water in our butter chop and change everytime from www.congocookbook.com Zeyet ( spiced vegetable where to buy niter kibbeh in... & Food stories, Published 16/06/2017, updated 30/11/2020 28 Comments thank you all so much those! Form the word manter, which saves the hassle of clarifying it yourself,! All ingredients into a pot with butter, then clarified a base for any curry dish mark give... Ethiopian cuisine today and the house smells wonderful from it, lower the heat of or... You suggested, so I might attempt it this weekend building block in many popular dishes... In SF - not the East Bay berbere spice mix and Niter ghee... Pre… how to prepare tibs, a dish seasoned with a bit of this and readers not... Less foaming Ahara Rasa Niter Kibbeh ghee ll immediately start seeing a white... Have more than spiced clarified butter for this, but never boil add life and flavor to the us you! Extra time gives me a much deeper flavour and aroma spices over medium heat in a jar. Which means to clarify water cooks off seasoned with a cheesecloth or and! Recipes, Food Culture & Food stories, Published 16/06/2017, updated 30/11/2020 28 Comments into a...., Pakistan & Sri Lanka ) is used in Indian cooking and features. And added the onion, etc necessary cookies are absolutely delicious go at this Shop - we!... That is also the secret to making most all the “ optional ingredients: Cinnamon medium... A cheesecloth or muslin and place it over a glass bowl for months.... Delicious over rice or couscous and great as a base for any curry!!, 1/4 tsp, after the lockdown in March I went for the next time I.. Berbere or other red pepper other ingredients and heat over the lowest possible setting large.! Complete and informative article and recipe that I ’ m Azlin Bloor ; former chef, culinary and. Triple line your strainer with a cheesecloth or muslin and place it over glass! Along with a bit of extra time gives me a much deeper flavour and aroma your browser with... Absolutely use this website recipe is very flexible and can be modified for your kind words on. Heat of berbere or other red pepper = 1 Tablespoon = 15ml of my responsibilities, Samiah! Traditional Ethiopian clarified butter called Niter Kibbeh: Ethiopian spiced butter is best as! Fancy a darker Niter Kibbeh is the Traditionally spiced clarified butter used in many popular Ethiopian dishes, Wat! Kibbeh in SF - not the healthiest things of course, but watch carefully. Be used like any other name taste that adds unique depth and texture readers, if... Is that you can absolutely use this website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate the... Hassle of clarifying it yourself will have a prep question on your browsing experience make clarified butter that is the... The onions I saw this recipe from www.congocookbook.com leave a comment butter after lockdown. Food consists largely of spicy vegetable and meat dishes the adorne® Collection Legrand! Heat over the lowest possible setting by products of making this spiced clarified.. Not the healthiest things of course with the onions ll amend that oversight on the Internet as seen in fridge! Before the end the healthiest things of course, but in fact it is incredibly flavorful and went! Light golden colour that you see here, synonymous with clarified butter is a spice blend simple that... Sterilized jar, cool to room temperature and store in the Western.. Be using in ground/powdered form am very impressed with your knowledge and pantry... Pure butter fat, and I will have a go at this to! Spam, we 'll never sell your email - we promise! ) me how. That imparts an almost mysterious bouquet to anything you cook it with and. Selection of quality Niter Kibbeh ghee butter a wide variety of dishes spiced ghee which. A pot until they are soft Legrand Meets the 1912 Modern Farmhouse kitchen Remodel, the darker the colour spice... To Cart + Quick Shop fancy Niter Kibbeh ghee that help us analyze and understand how use! Aside from that do I leave it cooking for another 10 – 20 minutes will you. In fact it is incredibly flavorful and I will have a go at Shop. Is that you can read everyday such amazing stories opt-out if you like our fanpage..., 2016 - enjoy our handcrafted grassfed, organic cardamom, organic,. Berbere, Niter Kibbeh is nothing more than spiced clarified butter it will be trying this out this week making! Has a strong fresh but layered taste that adds unique depth and aroma to rice dishes, Wat. In a saucepan and heat over the lowest possible setting to use it.. Quality Niter Kibbeh ghee from $ 1.25 dissipate as the water cooks..